Got error 127 from table handler
ABOUT THE DAILY REPORT
The Daily Report is a legal newspaper that has been published continously since August 21, 1907.
It was founded by two local attorneys, W. E. Simpson and W. B Chaplin, who saw a need for a paper
that could capsulize the goings on of the business community. Their motto was "A Business Paper
for Business Men."
Because Mr. Simpson was ready to run for the office of Kern County District attorney, the owners
sold the paper to Ross C. Miller, the city editor for The Bakersfield Californian, on April 3, 1914.
Due to a perceived conflict of interest, Mr. Miller sold The Daily Report
after only two months to
Otis Hymer. At that time, the location of the paper moved to the Taylor Arcade Building, located in
the center of what is now the Bank of America Tower on the corner of Chester and Truxtun in downtown
Mr. Hymer owned The Daily Report until 1942, when his assistant
publisher, Wililam Breitinger bought
him out. Coincidentally, Mr. Breitinger and Ross Miller were brothers-in-law. Mr. Breitinger and his
wife Edna owned the paper for 15 years, when they sold it to their son, Don Breitinger in 1957. When
the Taylor Building was to be destroyed to make way for the new Bank of America, Don Breitinger moved
the offices to the Haberfelde Building, where it remained for nearly 40 years. On July 1, 1977, he
sold the paper to his sister, Gay Thurber. Under Mrs. Thurber's direction, the paper became fully
self-sufficient from start to finish, print shop included. Mrs. Thurber owned the paper until January
1, 1995 when she sold it to her daughter, Anne Marino. In 1997 the paper and print shop moved to its
present location at 310 H Street, Bakersfield.
Family owned since 1942, The Daily Report
is proud to be part of Kern County history and looks forward
to serving the community in the new millenium.
The Daily Report
310 "H" St. Bakersfield, CA 93304
Tel: (661) 322-3226 FAX: (661) 322-9084
Copyright © 2000 Daily Report. Database Programming by